Sunday, May 16, 2010

Vegetable Garden Update

An update on the status of my vegetables:

My garden has an infestation of lubbers of all sizes and stages. This one is one of the largest so far this season. It was probably 2 1/2 - 3 inches.


So, of course, I've worried about my plants. So far, there haven't been any signs of trouble, but today I noticed a couple of holes in one leaf.

Perhaps this can be attributed to the lubbers, but maybe it is something else. It's actually become a daily thing for me to go to water the garden in the morning, and have a couple of lubbers running away from my garden-- but I've never seen them *in* the garden. Then the other day I found four or five of them around the compost bin, which is located near the garden. So I have to wonder whether it is actually the compost that attracts the lubbers, and not my garden after all.

I potted a couple of red bell pepper plants recently. Within a couple of days, I noticed one of them had wilted.

I figured maybe I didn't pot it well, and left some "empty space" around the root ball. Then Saturday I forgot to water the garden before we headed out to do some things, and by the time I watered it late in the afternoon, I found my potted plants had all wilted. So far, the other red bell pepper hasn't revived. So I may have lost them both. Dang it!


My roma tomato is doing great! It keeps growing by leaps and bounds, and there are blossoms everywhere!






I have one little pepper on my old plant from last summer.


If memory serves me, this is a yellow bell pepper.

My catnip is gone. Whatever got at it (presumably a neighboring cat?) completely destroyed it.

I have a couple of strawberries, and a couple more blossoms on my old strawberry plants from last year.

I have my first eggplant bloom...

...and a number of future eggplant blossoms just waiting. We'll see what happens with them. I was told that you need two plants to get fruiting. So that's what I did.

I have my first cucumber blossom...

...and a number of zucchini blossoms coming in.

Here is a shot of the cucumber in front, with the watermelon and zucchini behind.

And here we have the three peppers (poblano, jalapeno and green bell pepper) in front, with the cantaloupe in back on the left and one of the eggplants on the right.

These have all grown nicely since first planted a couple of weeks ago.

My cantaloupe is really doing well, with tons of blossoms...

And some of the peppers are about to blossom...

So far I've counted 3 mangoes on the tree. Small harvest this year, and they are all so high up I'll have to wait for them to fall on their own!

And what's this? A lone cauliflower plant that survived from last summer. After I found out that cauliflower is almost impossible to bring to fruition this far south, I used most of the leaves in a sausage-potato soup.
So, for the most part, the veggies are doing quite well. My experimental test garden is going well so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm new at all of this, and would love to hear any of your comments, questions or suggestions. Thank you for coming by!